RCA I – Life Skills
SPECIAL EDUCATION (Critical Life Skills)
Under general supervision, performs a variety of paraprofessional, instructional and clerical tasks as directed by instructional personnel, to work in a variety of settings with students with physical, emotional, educational, or behavioral handicaps in programs that address critical life skills; and related work as required, consistent with the job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists instructional personnel with the presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises
- Tutors students individually or in small groups to reinforce and follow up learning activities in a resource center and/or an individual classroom
- Oversees and supervises students during activities that provide students with critical life skills which may include social, vocational, meal planning, and money management skills, use of community resources, and learning community safety on campus, in classrooms, media centers, and on field trips
- Attends inservice meetings as required
- Assists in maintaining a neat, orderly and attractive learning environment
- Operates audio-visual and office equipment
- Performs all related duties as assigned
- Supervises students
- Demonstrates an understanding, patient, and receptive attitude towards students
- Communicates correctly in oral and written form, understands and carries out oral and written instructions
- Able to modify activities when necessary, maintains cooperative relationships with the supervising teachers, staff, and parents, and performs basic arithmetic calculations accurately.
- Must pass qualifying test.
- One year of experience working with Special Education students is desirable.