Under supervision, to operate a private branch switchboard; to give routine information to the public; to perform general clerical work; and to do related work as required, consistent with the job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates a private branch exchange switchboard
- Receives incoming calls and makes station connections
- As requested, places, receives, and completes long distance calls
- Takes and transmits messages; gives routine information as requested
- Performs a wide a variety of clerical work, including typing, checking, and recording information
- Compiles information for and prepare reports
- Maintains file systems consonant with district regulations
- Receives office visitors in person or over the telephone, and either answers questions concerning the site’s activities or refers persons to another source of information
- Prepares master copies
- Operates typewriter, copying and duplicating machines, adding machines, and school communication equipment
- Prepares data for processing
- Performs other general clerical work as required.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Terminology, processes and operations of assigned office or program.
- Record-keeping and filing techniques. Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Basic research methods and report preparation techniques.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control.
- Basic math.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and administration.
- Interpret, apply and explain applicable laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
- Maintain records, logs and files. Learn principles of training and providing work direction and guidance to others.
- Compile, assemble, verify and prepare data for records and reports.
- Determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines.
- Compose correspondence and written materials independently.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Plan and organize work.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software.
- Be able to multitask.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Move hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Hear and speak to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
- Sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- See to read a variety of materials.
- Bend at the waist, kneel or crouch to file materials.
- Type at a rate of thirty-five (35) words per minute
- Pass qualifying tests.
One year of experience in the operation of a switchboard or completion of a course in a recognized school for PBX training; one year of broad and varied experience in clerical and typing work.