Lead Gardener LEAD GARDENER
Under limited supervision, to perform skilled maintenance, construction, and repair work of district grounds, landscaped areas; irrigation systems and grounds equipment; to coordinate work of the gardening teams; and to do related work as required consistent with the job description.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Installs and maintains trees, shrubs, ground cover and turf, including pruning, mowing, watering, fertilizing and pesticide spraying
- Keeps landscape areas clean and orderly
- Installs and repairs automatic sprinkler systems
- Operates and repairs grounds equipment
- Coordinates the work or serves as lead man to employees performing gardening duties
- Keeps supervisor informed of the work performed by assigned employees
- Performs professional level work in the maintenance of grounds, irrigation systems and grounds equipment
- Uses required tools and equipment skillfully and safely
- Reads and works from sketches and blueprints
- Keeps accurate work records
- Follows and gives oral and written directions
- Performs heavy manual labor
- Evaluates work methods and productivity of gardening tasks
- Exercises lead man responsibility over the work performed by gardening personnel.
- Must pass qualifying tests.
Possession of an appropriate California Operator’s License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles is required to commence employment. As a condition of employment within six months after the date of hire, shall be licensed by the State of California Department of Food and Agriculture for landscape spraying in the categories of law, regulations, ornamental and turf categories, and shall possess a California Class B Drivers License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Two (2) years experience as a Gardener III or demonstrable equivalency; it is desirable to have some specialized training in landscape maintenance. Salary Range 38 Revised January 2003