Lead Bus Driver Behind The Wheel Trainer/Dispatcher
Under the general supervision of the Director, Maintenance, Operations and Transportation to perform the duties of a bus driver, to assist with organizing and conducting behind-the-wheel training sessions for original and renewal drivers; to assist with conducting required school bus safety and bus evacuation drills for students; to schedule and dispatch regular school bus routes and drivers; to schedule and dispatch extra trip assignments as necessary; and to do related work as required, consistent with job description.
Directly responsible to designated Director, Maintenance, Operations and Transportation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Instructs bus drivers in the proper operation of school transportation vehicles
- Reports to management regarding driver knowledge and skills in the efficient, safe, and legal aspects of school bus operation
- Prepares and maintains training records as required by law
- Qualifies drivers on all district busses
- Performs bus driver duties as required
- Schedules and assigns daily bus routes and drivers
- Schedules and assigns extra trips
- Assists in scheduling an efficient and most effective routing system
- Schedules all extra trip assignments; schedules and conducts effective behind-the-wheel training programs for school bus drivers
- Schedules and conducts effective school bus safety and bus evacuation programs for students
- Safely operates a school bus.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Principles, methods, techniques and strategies for the training of school bus drivers.
- Provisions of the California Motor Vehicle Code and the Education Code applicable to the operation of vehicles in the transportation of students and in the training of school bus drivers.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Basic record-keeping techniques.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Methods, procedures and techniques related to a large pupil transportation operation (as per Behind the Wheel Training, Vehicle Code and California Educational Code).
- Safe driving practices and methods.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- First aid and medical care and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Plan, coordinate, organize and conduct behind-the-wheel bus driver training programs.
- As a Behind the Wheel Trainer, monitor and assess bus drivers
- Assuring a high standard of performance is maintained (as per the Behind the Wheel Training manual, Vehicle Code and California Educational Code).
- Communicate information between administrators, central dispatch and driving staff.
- Maintain routine records.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- See to read a variety of materials, monitor drivers and observe hazards.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Bend at the waist, kneel or crouch to inspect buses.
- Climb steps.
- Operate a computer keyboard.
- Appropriately handle stressful conditions.
- Use proper lifting methods.
Possession of the following valid documents: California Class B or class 2 Drivers License California School Bus Driver Certificate First Aid Certificate as required Certificate of Good Health.
Five (5) years of experience as a school bus driver.
Salary Range 32
Revised April 1994 Revised May 2006 Revised September 2011
Approved CSEA Executive Board: 10/6/11
CSEA President Initials: RL Approved District Representative: 9/30/11
District Rep Initials: VB