Under general supervision, to perform grounds maintenance and gardening work; and to do related work as required.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs general grounds maintenance work
- Sweeps walks and picks up papers
- Maintains supplies, tools, and equipment in proper condition
- Plants, cultivates, waters, and fertilizes ornamental plants, shrubs, hedges, trees, flowers and lawns; trims trees, hedges, and shrubs
- Prepares and treats soil for planting; sets out plants
- Aids in keeping assigned areas free from pests and plant diseases
- Rakes leaves and hoes weeds
- Operates small and medium size vehicles, power edger, rototiller, and similar equipment and tools in performance of work
- Performs ground maintenance duties including repairing fences, preparing athletic fields
- And assists in pouring cement and installing sprinkler pipe
- Learns the more common plant diseases and inspect pests and approved methods and materials used in controlling and eradicating them
- Performs heavy manual labor
- Maintains cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Must pass both qualifying written test and performance test.
- Possession of an appropriate California Operator’s License issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
- One year of experience in gardening, grounds maintenance, or related work.