Under the supervision of the Director of Maintenance, Operations, and Transportation, to plan, direct and coordinate activities of school bus program to provide students with reliable, efficient, and safe transportation. Assist the Director of Maintenance, Operations, and Transportation in the management of maintenance and operations.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Recommends revisions of routes, or changes in schedules in order to improve services.
- Oversees the scheduling of transportation services for all co-curricular and field trip events.
- Coordinates terminal and dispatching activities, communication operations, and assignment of drivers to obtain optimum use of facilities, equipment, and human resources.
- Inspects physical facilities of terminal and buses for such factors as cleanliness, safety, and appearance, and takes required actions in order to meet prescribed standards.
- Processes complaints and initiates corrective actions designed to improve customer relations and services.
- Initiates investigations into causes of accidents, interviews operators concerned to determine responsibility, and takes actions on findings or submits reports to management.
- Checks trip and dispatch logs for conformance with schedules.
- Directs preparation and issuance of new schedules to terminal and operating personnel.
- Directs and participates in training of personnel and issues manuals, bulletins, and technical guides to improve services and operational activities.
- Directs preparation and retention of dispatch and vehicle operations records and reports.
- Recruits and trains drivers.
- Coordinates and secures substitute drivers.
- Participates in interviews with parents and principals regarding behavior of students.
- Provides bus evacuation drills for students in accordance with federal and state requirements.
- Supervises a program of vehicle repair and maintenance.
- May operate a school bus on an as needed basis.
- Perform administrative functions in maintenance and operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Laws and safety code sections applicable to operation of school transportation vehicles.
- Routing and scheduling of transportation personnel.
- Principles of supervision and training.
- Budget Management
- School Bus operations at the District level.
- Operation of PC and related software for school transportation routing.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Develop and maintain routes.
- Maintain complete and accurate records.
- Operate a school bus.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Train, supervise and evaluate staff performance.
- Prioritize and schedule work.
- Prepare and monitor a budget.
- Manage maintenance and operations.
- Manage multiple projects.
- Explain and enforce policies and regulations.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of regulations.
- Prepare reports for regulators.
- Operate a personal computer and related software.
- Use appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Use proper lifting techniques
- Observe, report, and assign need for maintenance and repair.
- Produce oral and written reports.
- Ability to produce and use data bases and spreadsheets.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Communicate effectively with others.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Speak, read and write English at a level required for satisfactory job performance.
- Ability to speak in public.
- Climb ladders.
- Maintain consistent, punctual and regular attendance.
- Walk or stand for extended periods of time.
- Move hands and fingers to operate a variety of hand and power tools.
- Reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Bend at the waist, kneel or crouch.
- See to perform assigned work.
- Hear and speak to exchange information in person or on the telephone.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent. Five (5) years experience in school bus transportation, and/or maintenance and operations, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Requires valid CA School Bus Driver’s Certificate, valid CA School Bus Instructor’s Certificate, and valid medical (DL51).
- Bachelors Degree Desired
- Must provide a clean DMV record.
WORKING CONDITIONS ENVIRONMENT
- Indoor and outdoor environment.
- May be required to drive as needed.
- Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
- Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Cleaning chemicals.
- Working around and with machinery with moving parts.
- Potential for contact with body fluids.
SALARY & WORKYEAR:
- Management Salary Range 45
- 225 days Calendar