Classroom Specialist, Braille
To perform under supervision a variety of instructional tasks and related services in a variety of settings including full inclusion, mainstreamed, or in an SDC placement. To provide braille support for students who have physical, emotional, educational and behavioral handicaps and to complete related work as required for children with vision impairments.
Directly responsible to designated administrators.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Through Braille, assists instructional personnel with the presentation of learning materials and instructional exercises for vision impaired; tutors the student individually or in a small group to reinforce and follow up learning activities, oversees and supervises students during activities in the classroom, outside the classroom and in all recreational and educational settings, operates necessary equipment, attends assigned in-services, communicates effectively, understands and carries out oral and written instruction, maintains professional rapport with other staff. This specialist, though having the main task of providing service to the visually impaired, will also assist with other students as needed.
- Basic medical information relating to disabilities and needs of school age students.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Techniques for dealing with students with various physical, learning and/or emotional disabilities
- Record keeping practices.
- Assisting students in performing tasks and helping them to achieve curriculum expectations.
- Working efficiently, positively, patiently and unemotionally; displaying mature self-control with handicapped students with a variety of disabilities.
- Maintaining strict confidentiality regarding program participants.
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, staff and administration.
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Using sound independent judgment within general procedural guidelines.
- Maintaining accurate records as needed.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Must pass qualifying test. Must have taken and passed coursework in Braille.
- Demonstrates ability to interline in Braille. Demonstrates Braille proficiency through a District approved SELPA vision specialist.