Behavioral Health Provider
- Under the direction of the Director of Student and Family Services, or administrative designee, to provide counseling and guidance services to students to support mental and emotional health Identify and counsel students with mental and emotional health needs leading to school adjustment problems
- Assess the mental health of students and make referrals to other community resources, support groups and social service agencies as appropriate, support school site development of mental and emotional health supports
- Provide guidance and training to school staff around strategies for supporting mental and emotional health Facilitate Student Health and Wellness Center (secondary site assignment only).
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee activities and serve as a facilitator of the Student Health and Wellness Center to provide students with mental and emotional health support; counseling students and teaching students strategies and skills for coping with and addressing their mental and emotional struggles. (Secondary School Assignment Only)
- Consult and/or provide short term case management and check ins with students. Confer as needed with parents, teachers and others regarding student needs including school achievement and behavior.
- Coordinate counseling and mental and emotional support groups to enhance student skills and strategies for coping with mental and emotional health struggles.
- Provide crisis counseling as needed.
- Assess and refer students to social service and governmental agencies, support groups and other community resources for mental and emotional health.
- Serves as liaison between school sites and community based organizations to build capacity in trauma informed and culturally responsive health and wellness services and supports.
- Maintain current knowledge of community resources and recent trends in counseling techniques.
- Assists in the development and implementation of school-wide efforts to create a positive climate, prevent conflicts and violence, and enhance the community setting for all of its members.
- Provides mental health consultation to school sites in order to strengthen positive connections between students and adults, and enhance school staff knowledge and implementation of effective behavioral support and interventions, positive climate strategies, Restorative Justice practices, cultural responsiveness, youth development and family engagement.
- Participates and supports site development of a Coordination of Services Team (COST) in collaboration with site administrators, counselors, school psychologists, teachers, community providers, and site based school staff.
- Collaborates with the site to develop training to teach and promote interventions that support mental and emotional health of students.
- Participate in regular meetings with other Behavioral Health Workers and District Social Workers to collaborate.
- Participate in regular meetings with other Health and Wellness Teachers, elementary Behavioral Health Workers, and District Social Workers to collaborate, plan, and receive training focused on social and emotional learning and supporting students triggered by mental and emotional health needs. (Elementary Assignment Only)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A Bachelor’s degree, Masters Degree preferred, from an accredited university and/or college with major coursework in social work, psychology, and counseling or closely related fields.
- At least one year full-time experience in providing mental health services, social services, case management, or counseling with children and teens.
- Experience with school climate initiatives such as restorative practices, trauma-informed schools, and/or Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS).
- School-based mental health experience.
Salary Range based on classification (Classified Management or Teacher on Special Assignment)
184 day work year